Use groups to organize notes, images, sketches, text and shared screens on your canvas. Content added to a group moves together when the group is moved around the canvas. Groups can be placed within a larger group to help with categorization and organization.
Create groups from:
- The Span web client using a certified mobile browser
- The Span web client using a certified computer browser
- Span Workspace wall client
Create a group
On the web
- Select Group from the toolbar
- Give the group a title and click Done
- The group will automatically be added to your tray where it is only visible to you. Once you drag and drop the group onto your canvas, it becomes visible to the other canvas participants.
Rename the group by double-clicking the group while it's in the tray, or double-clicking the header if it's on the canvas.
- Add notes, images, sketches and text boxes to the group either by dragging the items inside the group or by tapping on the group and using the corner to drag the group around the items
Alternatively, access the dwell menu by right-clicking the canvas in the web client. This action will skip adding the group to your tray, and instead place it directly on the canvas.
On the wall
- Press and hold your finger or stylus on the canvas to bring up the menu
- Tap Group
- Double-tap the group's header to add or edit the title
- Tap Done to close the editing box
You can add smaller groups inside larger groups to create subgroups. The subgroups will move when the larger group is moved, and you have the option to pin the subgroups to prevent them from moving while you arrange content within the larger group.
Keep in mind that deleting the large group will delete all the subgroups and content inside of it.
Inking is only possible from the Span™ wall.
- Click the edit icon on the quick tools bar, or select Edit from the three-dot menu.
- Choose a color and draw on the group
- Click Done when finished
Adding color to a group
- Click on the group or subgroup
- Open the color options icon in the quick tools menu and select a color
Notes within the group will change to the color selected.
Changing group name
- Double-click on the group's header or select Rename from the three-dot menu
You can also access the three-dot menu by right-clicking the group on the web, or pressing and holding in the wall software.
- Click the Done button or anywhere on the canvas to save the new name
Duplicating or deleting a group
- Duplicate the group by either clicking the duplicate icon in the quick tools bar, or selecting Duplicate from the three-dot menu
If the group is in your tray, it will create a duplicate in your tray. If the group is on the canvas, it will create a duplicate directly on the canvas.
- Select Delete from the three-dot menu to remove the group from your tray or the canvas
Pinning the group to the canvas
- Click the pin icon on the quick tools bar, or select Pin from the three-dot menu to attach the image to the canvas background and prevent it from being moved
- To undo pinning, open the menu again and select Unpin
Hide or show the subgroup pins from the templates three-dot menu on the quick tools bar.
Clearing group content
- Select Clear content from the group's three-dot menu.
- Click Clear content when prompted to confirm. The groups content will be deleted. This cannot be undone.
Last updated: November 18, 2018